Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Page 7 "offering a house to rent in Cadenet, Vaucluse,"


[This first post card, which I received from my boss, Doris "Shammy" Shamleffer, when I worked for New York Friends Group, Inc., from 1977-1982, suggested to me the temperament of the place in which my characters would reside.  And you can see on the right half of the picture, there is a brown suit hanging.]

From page 7 of the book:  "...Owen spotted a man's brown suit hanging from a second-story drainpipe and remarked how people's indifference was the same throughout the world."

And then:

From page 123 of the book:  "...green countryside, searching for nothing in particular under that bright Sunday heat, when suddenly I spotted the brown suit Revenant had pointed out hanging from a window. Owen noticed it, too.   "It's like the Yeats poem," he said. "'Fifteen apparitions have I seen; the worst a coat upon a coat hanger.'"  "What do we do with that?" I asked. "It remains to be seen," he said tiredly."
[This second postcard, which Shammy also sent me, confirmed that this was the place.  And you can see the statue of the drummer boy smack dab in the middle.] 

No comments:

Post a Comment