Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Page 96 "Gordes would do them good."

From page 96 of the book:    "...That morning, I was waiting for a car.  Owen and Sarah were being driven to Gordes, a village on the edge of the Vaucluse plateau, nearly 20 kilometers north of Cadenet and the Luberon mountain range.  They were taking a couple of days to  be alone, to investigate the land without me.  I knew that at times I must have acted like a meddlesome nurse, or a nagging orderly; available, helping, knowledgeable, unavoidable.
     Gordes would do them good.  They were going to visit three things: a castle; a bizarre cluster of cone-shaped, stone huts called the village des bories (origin unknown); and the Senanque Abbey, built by the Cistercians in the 12 century.  Owen wouldn't pass up the Abbey for, as I've said, he was attached to history.  It was, I hoped, what would give him strength."


Gordes

Map showing Luberon range, Cadenet, Gordes, etc.

Village des  bories


Detail of Village des Bories












Senanque Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment