Saturday, March 12, 2011

Page 113 "...by so much the more I fear thy fall..."

From page 113 of the book:  The two men gazed upon the perspective of green leaves filling the tall trees and yellow leaves providing a carpet beneath them.
 "'By how much the more I love the high climbing of thy capacity,'" Revenant recited, "'by so much the more I fear thy fall.'"
 He looked at Owen.
 "John Lily," said Owen.
 "Thank you," said Revenant.  "You are a scholar?" he asked.
 "Are you?" Owen replied.
 "Makes you hungry!" stated the priest.
 "Why don't you have lunch with me and my girlfriend?" Owen asked the priest.


John Lyly, John Lyly (Lilly or Lylie)(1553-1606), English writer, best known for his books "Euphues: The Anatomy of Wit" and "Euphues and His England." Lyly's linguistic style, originating in his first books, is known as Euphuism.


["Alas, Euphues, by how much the more I love the high climbing of thy capacity, by so much the more I fear thy fall.  The fine crystal is sooner crazed than the hard marble; the greenest beech burneth faster than the driest oak; the fairest silk is soonest soiled; and the sweetest wine turneth to the sharpest vinegar."]
From "Euphues: The Anatomy of Wit" by John Lyly, 1578

No comments:

Post a Comment