Saturday, April 2, 2011

Page 232 "My comrades and I destroyed a little place outside of Biskra."

A market in Biskra


Roman ruins outside Biskra


From page 232 of the book:  "...My comrades and I destroyed a little place outside of Biskra. It was supposed to be a French army intelligence post. It wasn't. They were all civilians. We killed most of them. They had nothing to do with the war, the poor saps. Whole families were burned alive in their houses. Just shot up and burned out. It was a mess. Your country thought My Lai was a disaster." He shook his head and at last lit his half-cigar. "Americans were such innocents. We left and drove south to Tozeur and Touggourt. When I came back to that town, assigned to a reconnaissance unit, I realized what had been done. These were French people. They were Algerians. They were my brothers, Owen, I murdered my brothers."


Mountains just north of Biskra

No comments:

Post a Comment