Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Page 374 "Yes, I was there, in French Guiana, decades ago."


Table mountains of the northern part of South America; "they called them Tepuis"






Another view of the tepuis



The forest canopy of French Guiana



From page 374 of the book:  "Yes, I was there, in French Guiana, decades ago.”
“You must’ve pissed somebody off to get sent there.”
“No, no, I requested it, after Vietnam. But, Christ! The sun there was like a razor blade against my skin. I lived between the river forests and the table mountains, they called them the Tepuis, with my very simple people, the Javanese, the Creole French, and the Arawak Indians, and all kinds of strange creatures.”





"...with my very simple people, ...the Arawak Indians,..."




"...and all kinds of strange creatures.”


Top: two views of a tapir; bottom:  squirrel monkeys






1 comment:

  1. Amazing! We are planning a trip to Guiana and your Tepuis photos are just amazing!

    ReplyDelete