Sunday, March 20, 2011

Page 288 "Yes, there was anguish, Oh Lord, the anguish."

From page 288 of the book:  "What was it like?" Ebert asked out of the blue.
"What?" said Revenant.
"You know," Ebert urged.
"You mean hearing his confession?" replied the priest.
"Yes."
"It was like listening to music," Revenant said. "It was like listening to Haydn. I went a good distance with it."
"Anguish?" asked Ebert.
"Yes, there was anguish, Oh Lord, the anguish; it was like one of those string instruments rubbing against my...what gland was it you told me about last winter? The one in the brain, the size of a cherry, the one that makes me sweat when I'm hot and shiver when I'm cold?"
"The hypothalamus," answered Ebert.
"Yes, yes, the hypothalamus," echoed Revenant. "The wonderful hypothalamus. Yes, I remember now, it tells me when I'm hungry and converts nerves into hormones."



Some helpful links:






No comments:

Post a Comment